LAUNCHING FALL 2019!!!
Open Call for Art Deadline: July 3
In its inaugural year, Collar Works’ Flat File aims to exhibit a range of diverse, two-dimensional works by emerging and underrepresented artists. The mission of the program is to promote selected artists’ work, create a space for affordable art, enhance current exhibition opportunities, and expand + enrich the Collar Works community. All works featured are sized 16”x20” or below and priced under $300. Individual works from the Flat File will be selectively highlighted throughout the year in the gallery, and online. Gallery visitors will be able to view and purchase works in the Collar Works Flat File Program on an ongoing basis. The 2019-2020 program will run for one full year, from September 2019 through August 2020.
This year’s juror is painter, Deborah Zlotsky —a recent Guggenheim fellow, Zlotsky is represented by Markel Fine Arts in New York and Robischon Gallery in Denver. She teaches at the Rhode Island School of Design.
In September 2019, selections from the season’s program will be included in a kick-off event in the Flat File space.
Interested in submitting your work for consideration? Please read the requirements carefully prior to submitting your work for consideration. Submit here by July 3.
For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Work cannot exceed 16” x 22” with a maximum thickness of ¼ inch or less.
2. All selected works must be flat and be able to fit into an archival acetate envelope.
3. All types of media are welcome; however, works incorporating charcoal, pastel or loose or delicate parts will not be considered as they are too fragile for handling. All submitted works must be sturdy enough to be handled throughout the year.
4. All work for consideration must be unframed, unmounted, unmatted.
5. To prepare for the Submittable upload, image files must be identified in this manner: LastnameFirstname#.jpg (for example AbrahamLincoln1.jpg)
6. Submission fee is $15, non-refundable and for up to five jpegs.
7. Maximum retail price of each work submitted should be $300 or less.
8. Specific works submitted to the open call must be available for the Flat File Program. If an accepted work is not available for any reason it may not be switched with replacement.
9. Submissions that do not meet the parameters will be automatically disqualified. If accepted artwork does not meet the parameters when received at Collar Works, it will not be included in the Flat Files Program.
10. All accepted work must be mailed or dropped off to arrive at the gallery by August 15, 2019.
Q: Can I submit multiple images to document one artwork?
A: Yes, but a maximum of five JPGs may be submitted in total.
Q: What is the consignment percentage breakdown between Collar Works and the artist?
A: The artist receives 70% of the sale price, Collar Works receives 30%.
Q: Must the work be on paper?
A: No, but it must be sturdy enough to handle and no more than ¼“ thick.
Q: When will I be notified?
A: Artists will be notified in July 2019.
Q: If accepted, should I mount or mat my work?
A: No, please sent us only the work; do not frame or mount the work.
Q: Can international artists apply?
A: Yes, artists living or working outside of the US are welcome to apply as long as they can ship their work to Troy, New York.